Early this year I took a ScrumMaster training course and then obtained the certification. Overall I thought the course and instructor were very good.
Some of the key items that I took away from the class were as follows.
- Importance of team retro’s
- Because my team had been doing Scrum for so long, we kind of did away with retro’s. I guess this is not out of the norm for mature teams. Bottom line here is we started doing retro’s again.
- Change is really ok and periodic change can be even better!
- It is ok to carry stories over to the next sprint.
- The sprint were the work is completed is the sprint that gets credit for the work
- During morning Scrum’s, the team should really not speak directly to the Scrum Master, but rather the entire team
- Add a “fun” element to the morning Scrum
- Dice shake
- Only try to fix 1 item from the retro.
- Know the 4+ Scrum meetings as it could be a test question
- Sprint Planning (What and How)
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review
- Spring Retro
- Backlog Refinement (Unofficial)
- Context switching between multiple project just doesn’t work…..
There were many other items, but those are the ones that stand out.
The certification test wasn’t bad as long as you paid attention in class. 🙂